Spread the love
A match box exhibits [MP-PET=1993 & 95]
- Cubic geometry
- Monoclinic geometry
- Orthorhombic geometry
- Tetragonal geometry
Silicon is found in nature in the form of [MH-CET=2002]
- Body centered cubic structure
- Hexagonal close-packed structure
- Network solid
- Face centered cubic structure
For some crystals, the radius ratio for cation and anion is 0.525, its coordination number will be [MH-CET=2003]
Which of the following is a three dimensional silicate [MH-CET=2003]
- None of these
Which defect causes decrease in the density of crystal [KCET=2000 & 05]
Doping of silicon (Si) with boron B leads to [UPSEAT=2004]
- n-type semiconductor
- p-type semiconductor
Frenkel defect is caused due to [MP-PET=1994]
- An ion missing from the normal lattice site creating a vacancy
- An extra positive ion occupying an interstitial position in the lattice
- An extra negative ion occupying an interstitial position in the lattice
- The shift of a positive ion from its normal lattice site to an interstitial site
The following is not a function of an impurity present in a crystal [MP-PET=1995]
- Establishing thermal equilibrium
- Having tendency to diffuse
- Contributing to scattering
- Introducing new electronic energy levels
Due to Frenkel defect, the density of ionic solids [MP-PET=1996; MP-PMT=2002]
- Does not change
Schottky defect in crystals is observed when [CBSE PMT 1998; KCET 2002]
- Density of crystal is increased
- Unequal number of cations and anions are missing from the lattice
- An ion leaves its normal site and occupies an interstitial site
- Equal number of cations and anions are missing from the lattice
Solid State CBSE Previous Year Question Papers
1.In solid CsCl each Cl is closely packed with how many Cs [MP PET 2003]
- A) 8
- B) 6
- C) 10
- D) 2
2. In A+B− ionic compound, radii of A+ and B− ions are 180pm and 187pm respectively. The crystal structure of this compound will be
- A) NaCl type
- B) CsCl type
- C) ZnS type
- D) Similar to diamond
3.In which of the following substances the carbon atom is arranged in a regular tetrahedral structure [NCERT 1978]
- A) Diamond
- B) Benzene
- C) Graphite
- D) Carbon black
4. The coordination number of a metal crystallizing in a hexagonal close packed structure is [NCERT 1978; IIT 1999]
- A) 4
- B) 12
- C) 8
- D) 6
5.How many chloride ions are there around sodium ion in sodium chloride crystal [NCERT 1979, 80; CPMT 1988; BHU 1982, 87; MP PET 1995, 99 ; CBSE PMT 2004]
- A) 3
- B) 8
- C) 4
- D) 6
6.An example of a non-stoichiometric compound is [NCERT 1983]
- A) Al2O3
- B) Fe3O4
- C) NiO2
- D) PbO
7.Crystal structure of NaCl is [NCERT 1982; BHU 1995]
- A) fcc
- B) bcc
- C) Both A and B
- D) None
8.The number of Cl− ions around one Na+ in NaCl crystal lattice is [MP PET 1996; BVP 2004]
- A) 12
- B) 4
- C) 8
- D) 6
9.In the calcium fluoride structure the co-ordination number of the cation and anions are respectively [J & K 2005]
- A) 6, 6
- B) 8, 4
- C) 4, 4
- D) 4, 8
10.In a face centred cubic cell, an atom at the face contributes to the unit cell [Karnataka (Engg./Med.) 2000; AFMC 2001]
- A) 1/4 part
- B) 1/8 part
- C) 1 part
- D) 1/2 part
1.Correct Answer: A Solution : In Cs+ Cl− crystal co-ordination number of each ion is 8.
2.Correct Answer: B Solution : r+/r−=(180/187)=0.962 which lies in the range of 0.732 to 1.000 , hence co-ordination number = 8 i.e. the structure is CsCl type.
3.Correct Answer: A Solution : In diamond, C-atoms are arranged in a regular tetrahedral structure
4.Correct Answer: B Solution : In hcp, co-ordination no. is 12.
5.Correct Answer: D Solution : In NaCl crystal every Na+ ion is surrounded by 6 Cl− ion and every chloride ion is surrounded by 6 Na+ ion.
6. Correct Answer: B Solution : Fe3O4 is a non-stoichiometric compound because in it the ratio of the cations to the anions becomes different from that indicated by the chemical formula.
7. Correct Answer: A Solution : NaCl has fcc arrangement of ions.
8 Correct Answer: D Solution : In NaCl crystal every Na+ ion is surrounded by 6 Cl− ion and every chloride ion is surrounded by 6 Na+ ion.
9.Correct Answer: B Solution : The Ca2+ ions are arranged in (ccp) arrangement, i.e. Ca2+ ions are present at all corners and tat the center of each face of the cube. the fluoride ions occupy all the tetrahedral sites. This is 8 : 4 arrangement i.e., each Ca2+ ion is surrounded by 8F− ions and each F− ion by four Ca2+ ions)
10. Correct Answer: D
Solid State MCQ Practice Questions
- Which of the following conditions favours the existence of a substance in the solid state?
(i) High temperature
(ii) Low temperature
(iii) High thermal energy
(iv) Weak cohesive forces
- Which of the following is not a characteristic of a crystalline solid?
(i) De nite and characteristic heat of fusion.
(ii) Isotropic nature.
(iii) A regular periodically repeated pattern of arrangement of constituent particles in the entire crystal.
(iv) A true solid
- Which of the following is an amorphous solid?
(i) Graphite (C)
(ii) Quartz glass (SiO2)
(iii) Chrome alum
(iv) Silicon carbide (SiC)
- The sharp melting point of crystalline solids is due to .
(i) a regular arrangement of constituent particles observed over a short distance in the crystal lattice.
(ii) a regular arrangement of constituent particles observed over a long distance in the crystal lattice.
(iii) same arrangement of constituent particles in different directions.
(iv) different arrangement of constituent particles in different directions.
- Iodine molecules are held in the crystals lattice by .
(i) london forces
(ii) dipole-dipole interactions
(iii) covalent bonds
(iv) coulombic forces
- Which of the following is a network solid?(i) SO2 (Solid)
(iv) H2O (Ice)
- Which of the following is not the characteristic of ionic solids?
(i) Very low value of electrical conductivity in the molten state.
(ii) Brittle nature.
(iii) Very strong forces of interactions.
(iv) Anisotropic nature.
- Graphite is a good conductor of electricity due to the presence of .
(i) lone pair of electrons
(ii) free valence electrons
- Which of the following arrangements shows schematic alignment of magnetic moments of antiferromagnetic substances? (i) ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ (ii) ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ (iii) ↑ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↑ ↓ (iv) ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓
- Which of the following is true about the value of refractive index of quartz glass? (i) Same in all directions (ii) Different in different directions (iii) Cannot be measured (iv) Always zero
- The lattice site in a pure crystal cannot be occupied by . (i) molecule (ii) ion (iii) electron (iv) atom
- Graphite cannot be classified as . (i) conducting solid (ii) network solid (iii) covalent solid (iv) ionic solid
- Potassium crystallizes in a bcc lattice, hence the coordination number of potassium in potassium metal is [KCEE=1993] (A) 0 (B) 4 (C) 6 (D) 8
- In the crystal of CsCl, the nearest neighbours of each Cs ion are [MP PET 1993] A) Six chloride ions B) Eight chloride ions C) Six Cs ions D) Eight Cs ions
- Which of the following statements is not true about NaCl structure [DCE 2001] A) Cl− ions are in fcc arrangement B) Na+ ions has coordination number 4 C) Cl− ions has coordination number 6 D) Each unit cell contains 4NaCl molecules
Solved Problems on Solid State MCQs for for JEE Main , NEET
Get acquainted with the concepts of solid states with the help of solved problems for JEE Main and NEET by chemistryup.in
Spread the love