Add titleRole Of Listening and Speaking in Learning English -8 Rules
ROLE OF LISTENING AND SPEAKING IN LEARNING ENGLISH
Learning a language is only the development of certain skills. We can learn a language primarily through speech. To learn a language means to understand and speak the language. So, to begin with listening and speaking skills are aimed at. The development of the other skills such as reading and writing are based on oral foundation.
In the case of our mother-tonguce, listening and speaking skills are developed in the home. From birth onwards the child gets listening and speaking practice at home. Everybody in the family speaks mother-tongue and the child gets the listening practice. Gradually the child is enabled to speak the mother-tongue. Everybody round the child makes effort and help the child to speak. Development of listening and speaking skills in second language like English is done in formal ways.
Development of skills of listening and speaking has a significant role to play in teaching of English language. To participate in ordinary conversation we need an ability to understand spoken English. Ability to speak in English is needed for communicating with others.
One who has the ability to understand spoken English can :
- (i) recognise the English speech sounds in solution as well as in combination.
- (ii) understand the lexical meanings of words in context and grammatical meanings of structures.
- (iii) understand the meaning conveyed by stress and intonation patterns.
- (iv) distinguish such sounds from similar sounds in the mother-tongue.
One whe has the ability to speak English can:
- (i) Produce the characteristic English speech sounds in isolation as well as in combination.
- (ii) Use appropriate stress and intonation patterns ; and
- (iii) Use appropriate words and structures to express the intended meaning.
LISTENING-SPEAKING PRACTICE AND ORAL WORK
Oral work is the primary key to the good learning of language. In fact it strengthens the foundation of language learning. Listening and speaking are important not only in first year or in early years of learning language, it is important throughout. So it should not be cut down or omitted. Language Development by Role Of Listening and Speaking.
Different ways of conducting oral work :
1. Reproduction Exercises :
(a) The teacher produces a sound and asks the students to reproduce it. It is done first in chorus then in groups and after that individually.
(b) The teacher speakes words one by one. The students listen to him and reproduce those words one by one. This practice is carried on it chorus, in groups and then individually.
(c) The teacher speaks full sentence one by one. The students listen to him carefully.
Then they are asked to speak those sentences.
2. Question-Answers :
(a) The teacher put questions to the class one by one. The students give the answers one by one. It gives them practice of listening and speaking.
(b) Question and answers may be between one student and other students. It may be between any two students.
3. Role play : There may be role play between two or three or four students. The dialogue
may be between a doctor and a patient, an inspector and a clerk, a police man and a shopkeeper.
4. By Performing Actions : The teacher performs actions and the students are asked to observe the actions and speak accordingly. Then the students are asked to do the actions and also speak whatever they are doing.
5. By showing picture or chart: The students of the class are shown a film picture or a chart and then they are asked to speak few sentences about it. Thus they get listening and speaking opportunites.
6. By showing film : The teacher shows the students a film for a few minutes and then they are asked to speak a few sentences about it.
7. By giving online of a story : The teacher gives an outline of a story and the students are then asked to think and then speak a few lines about it.
8. Through oral composition : Oral composition develops the skill in speaking for a few minutes. Any topic is taken up and then students are asked to speak on it.Stages of Language Development | Role Of Listening and Speaking | for CTET, DSSSB, KVS-2020
MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS of Role Of Listening and Speaking
1.Of the four skills in learning a language a learner should primarily aim at
(A) reading and writing
(C) listening and reading (B) speaking and reading
(D) listening and speaking
2.In learning a language listening-speaking skills should be carried on-
(A) only in the early years and then it should be omitted
(B) in the early and middle years and then it should be omitted
(c) throughout and it should not be omitted
(D) none of these
3.Picture comprehension is useful to promote- CTET
(A) listening skill (B) literary skill (c) artistic skill (D) speaking skill
4.Which of the following statements is not true? One who has the ability to
understand spoken English can-
(A) recognise English speech sounds only in combination
Vto (B) recognise English speech sounds both in isolation and combination
(C) understand the texical meaning of words in context and grammatical meaning
(D) understand meaning conveyed by stress
The way of conducting listening-speaking practice through oral work is-
(A) Reproduction exercises (B) Role play (C) question answer (D) All of these
1.(D) 2.(C) 3.(D) 4.(A) 5.(D)
- Learning and Acquisition | Language English For CTET & TET
- Personality : Characteristics & Trail Theory
- Principles of language learning for CTET & Education 2020
Chemistry Student can view Advanced Chemistry Website
Thanks for reading my blog post ” Language Development by Role Of Listening and Speaking “.