MCQ on Surface Chemistry For NEET & JEE Main [Important Questions With Answers]
NEET Important Questions on Class 12 Chapter 5 Surface Chemistry. Those students who are targeting NEET 2021 & 2022 exam should prepare for all the important chapters of NEET Chemistry syllabus to secure highest marks in NEET 2021 & 2022. The most important questions for NEET 2021 & 2022 designed by chemistryUP is one of the most trusted study material as it covers all the important chapters/Topic which are in the Chemistry syllabus.
Also, these important questions are prepared by analyzing the previous years question papers of NEET & JEE Main, considering the weightage of this chapter in the syllabus.
- Find all the NEET Chemistry important questions from the chapter Surface Chemistry with solutions to perform better in the exam here.
- These important questions are prepared by our academic experts based on the syllabus guidelines prescribed by MCI/ NTA.
- NEET Chemistry Surface Chemistry Multiple Choice Questions make you feel confident in answering the question in the exam & increases your scores to high.
Download the NEET Chemistry- Surface Chemistry important questions PDF for free to score better
MCQ on Surface Chemistry For NEET & JEE Main.
1. Which one of the following is an example of adsorption?
a) ammonia in contact with water
b) anhydrous CaCl2 with water
c) silica gel in contact with water vapours
d) all of these
Answer: (c) Water on silica gel is an example of adsorption. Water molecules remain on the surface of silica gel. Water molecules do not enter the bulk of silica gel.
2. At 15oC out of H2, CH4, CO2, NH3, which gas will be adsorbed maximum by charcoal?
Answer: (d) The correct option is D
H2 4.7 cc per gm
CH4 16.2 cc per gm
CO2 48 cc per gm
NH3 181 cc per gm.
3. Which of the following colloids are solvent hating?
- none of these
Answer: (b) Lyophobic colloids are liquid hating colloids (Lyo means solvent and phobic means hating). When these colloids are mixed with the suitable liquid, very weak force of attraction exists between colloidal particles and liquid and system does not pass into colloidal state readily . Hence correct answer is option ‘B’.
4. If the dispersed phase is a liquid and the dispersion medium is solid, the colloid is known as
|Dispersion Medium||Dispersed Phase||Type of Colloid||Example|
|Solid||Solid||Solid sol||Ruby glass|
|Solid||Liquid||Solid emulsion/gel||Pearl, cheese|
|Solid||Gas||Solid foam||Lava, pumice|
|Liquid||Solid||Sol||Paints, cell fluids|
|Liquid||Liquid||Emulsion||Milk, oil in water|
|Liquid||Gas||Foam||Soap suds, whipped cream|
5. The process of separating a crystalloid, from a colloid by filtration is called
6. The movement of colloidal particles towards the oppositely charged electrodes on passing electric current is known as
- Tyndall effect
- Brownian movement
- None of these
7. An emulsifier is a substance which
- stabilizes the emulsion
- coagulates the emulsion
- retards the dispersion of liquid in liquid
- causes homogenesis of emulsion
8. Homogeneous catalysis does mean
- Reactants and goods have to be at the same level
- Catalyst and reactants must be in the same phase
- The reaction mixture must be formed homogeneously during
- The reaction mixture distribution must be homogeneous
9. Which of the following kinds of catalysis can be explained by the adsorption theory?
- enzyme catalysis
- homogeneous catalysis
- acid base catalysis
- heterogeneous catalysis
10. The volume of gases H2, CH4, CO2 and NH3 adsorbed by 1 gm charcoal at 293 K can be given in the order?
- CH4 > CO2 > NH3 > H2
- CO2 > NH3 > H2 > CH4
- NH3 > CO2 > H2 > CH4
- NH3 > CO2 > CH4 > H2
Answer: (d) Same as question no 1
11. The particles of a particular colloidal solution of arsenic trisulphide (As2S3) are negatively charged. Which 0.0005M solution of the following salts would be most effective in coagulating this colloidal solution?
(A) KCI (B)MgCl2 (C) AICI3 (D) Na3PO4
Answer: (C) Since AS2S3 is a negatively charged colloidal sol, hence positively charged ion will cause its coagulation. By Hardy—Schulze rule “greater the charge on ion, greater the coagulating power to coagulate oppositely charged colloidal sol”, hence out of K+, Mg2+, AI3+, and Na+, would be most effective in coagulating this colloidal solution.
12. For adsorption of a gas on a solid, the plot of log x/m vs log P is linear with slope equal to: (n being a whole number)
(A) K (B) log k (C) n (D) 1/n
13. Molecules at the surface of solid have…………energy than molecules those inside
(A) higher (B) lower (C) some times higher & some times lower (D) none
Answer: (A) At the surface, a molecule is on one side surrounded by molecules of the same type and on the other side of another type. Therefore the net interaction force is no longer zero. So molecules at the surface of the solid have more energy than the molecules inside the solid.
14. The adsorption of H2 on glass takes place: for this adsorption
- dH>0, dS>0
- dH<0, dS>0
- dH<0, dS<0
- dH>0, dS<0
Answer: (A) Both dH & dS are positive, while dG<O. which makes the adsorption process feasible.
15. Mainly which colligative property is used to determine the molar mass of a polymer?
- (A) elevation in boiling point
- (B) depression in freezing point
- (C) osmotic pressure
- (D) relative lowering of vapour pressure
Answer: (C) For determining the molar mass of a polymer osmotic pressure is preferred because it is done at normal (room) temperature. At higher temperatures, molecules are not stable.
16. When the particle size of a dispersed phase in colloidal solution increases
- (A) the Brownian motion become fast
- (B) the Brownian motion becomes slow
- (C) Brownian motion remains same
- (D) none of these
Answer: (B) Brownian movement is due to the unequal bombardments of the moving molecules of dispersion medium on colloidal particles. Bigger size of the particle reduces the momentum.
17. Find the incorrect statement
- (A) As2S3, Au in their colloidal sols are negatively charged
- (B) Fe(OH)3, are positively charged in their colloidal sols
- (C) Ag & Pt are positively charged in their colloidal sols
- (D) smoke is dispersion of positively charged colloidal particles of carbon in air
Answer: (C) Ag & Pt are negatively charged. They move towards anode in
electrophoresis. Based on the nature of charge, the colloidal sols may be classified as positively charged and negatively charged sols. Positively charged sols: Metallic hydroxide sols e.g., Fe(OH)3, Al(OH)3, Cr(OH)3, etc., TiO2 sol, haemoglobin, sols of basic dyes such as methylene blue etc.
Negatively charged sols: Metal sols e.g., Au, Ag, Cu, Pt etc. sols, metal sulphide sols e.g., As2S3, CdS etc. sols; starch sol, sols of acid dyes such as Congo red etc. Properties of Colloids
18. The presence of soluble soap as a emulsifying agent generally forms the formation of emulsion of
- (A) oil in water (C) both type
- (B) water in oil (D) none
Answer: (A) Emulsification takes place by reduction of interfacial tension between two phases.
19. A substance which completely destroys or reduces the activity of the catalyst is called
- (A) Catalyst (C) Promotor
- (B) Inhibitor (D) Poison
Answer: (D) Poison, which come from the reacting substances or products of the reaction itself, accumulate on the surface of solid catalysts and cause their effectiveness to decrease.
20. Adsorption isostere is
- (A) The curve showing the effect of temperature on the extent of adsorption at a given pressure
- (B) The curve showing the variation of pressure with temperature, for a given amount of adsorption.
- (C) The curve showing the variation of adsorption with pressure at a constant temperature.
- (D) A line parallel to x-axis.
Answer: (B) The adsorption isostere is relation of the equilibrium pressure to the temperature at a constant value of the amount, or excess amount, of substance adsorbed by a given amount of solid.
Adsorption is the phenomenon in which the higher concentration of molecular species whether it is gas or liquid remains on the surface of the solid and does not penetrate the bulk of the solid.
21. The migration of positively-charged colloidal particles under an electrical field, towards the cathode is called
- (A) Cataphoresis (C) Sedimentation
- (B) Electrosmosis (D)Electrodialysis
Answer: (A) If the experiment is set such that only the colloidal particles are allowed to move and not the dispersion media particles it is known as cataphoresis or electrophoresis.
22. After increasing temperature, the rate of physiosorption :
(A) Will Decrease (C) Remain same
(B) will Increase (D) cannot say
Answer: (A) Physisorption is exothermic in nature. Therefore, After increasing temperature, the rate of physiosorption will derease.
23. If all the electrolytes are removed from the colloid by persistent dialysis then
- (A) Colloid becomes extremely stable
- (B) Colloids get coagulated
- (C) No effect is observed
- (D) Colloids convert into true solution
Answer: (B) If all ions are removed the colloidal particles get neutrelized and associate with each other forming suspensions.
24. The Brownian motion is due to
- (A) Temperature fluctuation within the liquid phase.
- (B) Attraction and repulsion between charges on the colloidal particles.
- (C) Impact of the molecules of the dispersion medium on the colloidal particles.
- (D) Convectional currents.
Answer: (C) Brownian motion is the random movement of the low weight particles suspended in a fluid.
25. The potential difference between the fixed charged layer and the diffused layer having opposite charge in colloidal solution is called
- (A) electrostatic potential (C) zeta potential
- (B) sedimentation potential (D) chemical potential
Answer: (C) The potential differences existing between the surfaces of a solid particle immersed in a conducting liquid (e.g. water) and the bulk of the liquid is called the zeta potential.
26. Gold number is the index for
- (a) the amount of gold present in the colloid.
- (b) the amount of gold required to break the colloid.
- (c) the amount of gold required to protect the colloid.
- (d) none of the above.
Answer: (D) Gold number is ‘least quantity of protective colloid in milligrams, which is just sufficient to prevent the coagulation of 10 ml of standard gold solution (containing 0.0053% gold) by the rapid adidition of 1 ml of 10% NaCl solution. The Coagulation of gold solution is indicated by change in color from red to violet. Thus small the gold number, the greater is protective power of lyophilic colloid.
27. On adding few drops of dil. HCI or FeCl3 to freshly precipitated ferric hydroxide, a red coloured colloidal solution is obtained. This phenomenon is known as:
(A) Peptization (C) Protection (B) Dialysis (D) Dissolution
Answer: (A) Peptization is the process responsible for the formation of stable dispersion of colloidal particles in dispersion medium.
28. A white precipitate of Sn(OH)4 is peptized with dil. HCI. The sol particle will carry
- (A) Positive charge
- (B) Negative charge
- (C) Sometimes positive and sometimes negative charge
- (D) No charge
Answer: (A) The sol particle will carry positive charge.
29. The stabilization of the dispersed phase in a lyophobic sol is due to
- (A) The viscosity of the medium
- (B) The surface tension of the medium
- (C) Both (A) and (B)
- (D) The formation of an eletrical layer between the two phases
Answer: (D) Due to preferential adsorption of similar ions, an electrical double layer formed on the surface of colloidal particles e.g. arsnius sulphide solution.
30. Gelatin is often used as an ingredient in the manufacture of ice-cream. The reason for this is
- (A) to improve the flavour
- (B) to cause the mixture to solidify
- (C) to stabilize the colloid and prevent crystal growth
- (D) to prevent the formation of a colloid
Answer: (C) This is due to stabilize the colloid and prevent crystal growth.
31. On adding Iml solution of 10% NaCl to 10ml gold sol in the presence of 0.25g of starch, the coagulation is just prevented. Starch has the following gold number
(A) 0.025 (C) 2.5 (B) 0.25 (D) 250
Answer: (C) Gold number is ‘least quantity of protective colloid in milligrams, which is just sufficient to prevent the coagulation of 10 ml of standard gold sol (containing 0.0053% gold) by the rapid adidition of I ml of 10% NaCl solution.
32. Choose the correct options regarding a catalyst
- (A) It increases the equilibrium concentration of the products.
- (B) It is a substance which change the equilibrium constant of the reacting ion.
- (C) It shortens the time to reach equilibrium.
- (D) It supplies energy to the reaction.
Answer: (C) A catalyst is substance that increases rate of reaction and it shortens the to reach equilibrium.
33. Purple of Cassius is
- (A) A solution of AgN03 in HN03
- (B) Colloidal solution of gold
- (C) A colloidal solution of platinum
- (D) A colloidal solution of palladium
Answer: (B) Purple of Cassius is colloidal solution of gold. It is formed by the reaction of gold salts with tin(ll) chloride.
34. Which of these is incorrect
- (A) Some times physical adsorption pass over to chemisorption on increasing the temperature of the system.
- (B) Oxygen is adsorbed on charcoal but on desorption it also releases CO and CO2
- (C) Only lighter gases show physical adsorption at low temp.
- (D) Activation energy of chemisorption > activation energy of physical adsorption
Answer: (C) All gases show the physical adsorption at low temperature.
35 . The colloidal solutions of gold prepared by different methods have different colours due to the
- (A) presence of different types of foreign particles depending upon the method of preparation of the colloid
- (B) different concentrations of gold
- (C) various forms of gold
- (D) presence of different size of the colloidal particles obtained in different methods.
Answer: (D) Colloidal solutions of gold prepared by different methods have different colors due to the presence of different size of the colloidal particles obtained in different methods.
36. Cloud bursts occur due to one of the following reasons:
- (A) the clouds are attracted towards the electrical charge on the earth.
- (B) large amount of water is present in the cloud
- (C) dense clouds are present in the upper atmosphere
- (D) mutual discharge of oppositely charged clouds resulting in the coagulation of water droplets
Answer: (D) This is due to mutual discharge oppositely charge clouds resulting in the coagulation of water droplets.
37. When a river meets the ocean they generally form delta due to
- (A) Coagulation of sand
- (B) sedimentation of common salt
- (C) deposition of MgCl2
- (D) mutual coagulation
Answer: (A) Sand is a negatively charged colloidal particles, which is carried by river to the ocean which is a vast reservoir of , various cation . These cations coagulate sand particles at the meeting point of river and ocean. In this way delta is formed.
38. FeCl3 stops bleeding because
- (A) It seals the blood cell
- (B) Blood starts flowing in reverse direction
- (C) The blood is coagulated and the blood cell is sealed
- (D) None
Answer: (C) Blood is a colloidal solution of albuminoid substance in water and alubminoid is negatively charged. So opposite charged Fe3+ ion proves a good coagulating reagent for blood.
39. Which is readily absorbed by activational charcoal
(A) C02 (B) N2 (C) C02 (D) (D) 02
Answer: (D) It has been found with every metal so far investigated-with the single exception of gold-that the strength of adsorption of those gases which it does chemisorption fall in the following sequence. 02 > C2H2 > C2H4 > CO > H2 > C02 > N2 Now some metals whose potential for chemisorption is very high will adsorb all these gases; others are able to adsorb only oxygen, which has the highest strength of adsorption.
40. The most commonly used adsorbent for chromatographic separation of organic compounds is
- (A) Silica gel (C) Fuller’s earth
- (B) Alumina (D) Activated charcol
Answer: (B) The adsorbents commonly employed for chromatography are alumina (specially prepared for this purpose), magnesium oxide, and sucrose. The solvents used are usually organic-acetone, bezene and petroleum ether etc.
41. A freshly prepared precipitate is peptised by adding FeCl3 solution. The charge on the colloidal particles is due to the preferential adsorption of
- (A) Cl– ions (C) OH– ions
- (B) Fe3+ ions (D) Fe2+ ions
Answer: (B) is a positive sol. The positive charge is due to the preparential absorption of Fe3+
42 . Substances whose solutions can readily diffuse through parchment membrane are
(A) Colloids (C) Electrolytes (B) Crystalloids (D) Non electrolytes
Answer: (A) Solutions which can diffuse readily through parchment membrane are crystalloids.
43. The process of converting precipitate into colloidal solution on adding an electrolyte is called:
(A) Peptization (C) Electroosmosis (B) Dialysis (D) Electrophoresis
Answer: (A) The conversion of a fresh ppt. into colloidal state by addition of small amount of a suitable electrolyte is called peptization e.g.
i.e., ions are adsorbed on particles to give colloidal size.
Check Also: CBSE Class 12 Chemistry Notes Surface Chemistry
Class 12 Unit-05 Surface Chemistry Offine MCQ Test / MCQ on Surface Chemistry For NEET and JEE Main
- Fog is a colloidal solution of : [NEET 2016]
(A) Gas in liquid
(B) Solid in gas
(C) Gas in gas
(D) Liquid in gas
- The dispersed phase and dispersion medium of fog respectively are [WBJEEM 2015]
A) solid, liquid
(B) liquid, liquid
(C) liquid, gas
(D) gas, liquid
- Which of the following colloids cannot be easily coagulated? [Karnataka CET 2015]
A) Lyophobic colloids
(B) Multimolecular colloids
(C) Macromolecular colloids
(D) Irreversible colloids
- For adsorption phenomenon, [GUJCET-E-2015]
A) ΔH = +ve, ΔS = –ve
(B) ΔH = –ve, ΔS = +ve
(C) ΔH = –ve, ΔS = –ve
(D) ΔH = +ve, ΔS = +ve
- The addition of a catalyst during a chemical reaction alters which of the following quantities? [NEET 2016]
(B) Activation energy
(D) Internal energy
- For Freundilich isotherm a graph of log x/m is plotted against log P. The slope of the line and its y-axis intercept, respectively corresponds to [Karnataka CET 2014]
(A) 1/n, k
(B) log 1/n, k
(C) 1/n, log k
(D) log 1/n, log k
- Which property of colloidal solution is independent of charge on the colloidal particles? [AIPMT 2015]
(D) Tyndall effect
- Sulphur sol contains [Karnataka CET 2016]
(A) Discrete S – atoms
(B) Discrete S – molecules
(C) Large aggregates of S – molecules
(D) Water dispersed in Solid Sulphur
- At given temperature and pressure adsorption of which gas of the following will take place the most? [GUJCET-E-2015]
- Which one of the following characteristics is associated with adsorption? [NEET UG 2016]
(A) ΔG and ΔH are negative but ΔS is positive
(B) ΔG and ΔS are negative but ΔH is positive
(C) ΔG is negative but ΔH and ΔS are positive
(D) ΔG, ΔH and ΔS all are negative
- For a linear plot of log(x/m) versus log p in a Freundlich adsorption isotherm, which of the following statements is correct? (k and n are constants) [JEE Main 2016]
A) 1/n appears as the intercept
(B) Only 1/n appears as the slope
(C) log(1/n) appears as the intercept
(D) Both k and 1/n appear in the slope term
- Reactions in Zeolite catalyst depend on [Karnataka CET 2016]
(C) Size of cavity
(D) All of these
- Gold Sol is not [Karnataka CET 2014]
(A) a macro molecular colloid
(B) a lyophobic colloid
(C) a multimolecualr colloid
(D) negatively charged colloid
- Which type of colloid is the dissolution of sulphur (S8)? [GUJCET-E-2015]
(A) Associated colloid
(C) Multimolecular colloid
(D) Macromolecular colloid
- Which of the following statements is correct for the spontaneous adsorption of a gas? [AIPMT 2014]
(A) ΔS is negative and, therefore, ΔH should be highly positive
(B) ΔS is negative and therefore, ΔH should be highly negative
(C) ΔS is positive and, therefore, ΔH should be negative
(D) ΔS is positive and, therefore, ΔH should also be highly positive
- Activated charcoal is used to remove colouring matter from pure substances. It works by___________.
- Gold numbers of protective colloids A, B, C and D are 0.50, 0.01, 0.10 and 0.005, respectively. The correct order of their protective powers is
(A) D < A < C < B
(B) C < B < D < A
(C) A < C < B < D
(D) B < D < A < C
- During the adsorption of Krypton on activated charcoal at low temperature [Karnataka CET 2011]
ΔH < 0 and ΔS < 0
ΔH > 0 and ΔS < 0
ΔH > 0 and ΔS > 0
ΔH < 0 and ΔS > 0
- The basic principle of Cottrell’s precipitator is [Karnataka CET 2008]
neutralisation of charge on colloidal particles
scattering of light
- The colour of sky is due to [Karnataka CET 2008]
absorption of light by atmospheric gases
wavelength of scattered light
transmission of light
All of these
- Among the following, the surfactant that will form micelles in aqueous solution at the lowest molar concentration at ambient conditions is [IIT JEE 2008]
- When a sulphur sol is evaporated sulphur is obtained. On mixing with water sulphur sol is not formed. The sol is [Karnataka CET 2007]
- Which of the following is correct for lyophilic sols? [AIEEE 2005]
They are irreversible
They are formed by inorganic substances
They are readily coagulated by addition of electrolytes
They are self stabilized
- Identify the gas which is readily adsorbed by activated charcoal: [Karnataka CET 2004]
- Identify the correct statement regarding enzymes: [AIEEE 2004]
Enzymes are specific biological catalysts that cannot be poisoned.
Enzymes are normally heterogeneous catalysts that are very specific in action
Enzymes are specific biological catalysts that can normally function at very high temperature (T – 1000K).
Enzymes are specific biological catalysts that possess well defined active sites.
- According to adsorption theory of catalysis, the speed of the reaction increases because: [CBSE AIPMT 2003]
adsorption produces heat which increases the speed of the reaction.
in the process of adsorption, the activation energy of the molecules becomes large.
the concentration of the reactant molecules at the active centres of the catalyst becomes high due to adsorption.
adsorption lowers the activation energy of the reaction
- Which of the following characteristics is not correct for physical adsorption? [AIEEE 2003]
Adsorption on solid is reversible.
Adsorption is spontaneous.
Adsorption increases with increase in temperature.
Both enthalpy and entropy of adsorption are negative.
- In Freundlich Adsorption isotherm, the value of 1/n is [CBSE AIPMT 2012]
1 in case of physical adsorption
1 in case of chemisorption
Between 0 and 1 in all cases
Between 2 and 4 in all cases
- Which one of the following statement is incorrect about enzyme catalysis? [CBSE AIPMT 2012]
Enzymes are denaturated by ultraviolet rays and at high temperature
Enzymes are least reactive at optimum temperature
Enzymes are mostly proteinous in nature
Enzyme action is specific
- The protecting power of lyophilic colloidal sol is expressed in terms of [CBSE AIPMT 2012]
Critical miscelle concentration
- Among the electrolytes Na2SO4, CaCl2, Al2(SO4)3 and NH4Cl, the most effective coagulating agent for Sb2S3 sol is [IIT-JEE 2009]
- Which of the following statements is incorrect regarding physisorption? [AIEEE 2009]
It occurs because of van der Walls forces
More easily liquefiable gases are adsorbed readily
Under high pressure it results into multimolecular layer on adsorbent surface
Enthalpy of adsorption (ΔHadsorption) is low and positive
- Which one of the followings forms micelles in aqueous solution above certain concentration? [CBSE AIPMT 2005]
Dodecyl trimethyl ammonium chloride
- Which of the following statement about the zeolites is false? [CBSE AIPMT 2004]
They have open structure which enables them to take up small molecules.
Zeolites are aluminosilicates having three dimensional network.
Some of the SiO4-4 units are replaced by AlO4-5 and AlO6-9 ion in zeolites.
They are used as cation exchangers
MCQ on Surface Chemistry For NEET, surface chemistry neet questions gneet, surface chemistry mcq pdf download, surface chemistry quiz, surface chemistry neet notes, surface chemistry question bank, surface chemistry important questions with answers, surface chemistry questions pdf, neet 2019 surface chemistry question
We wish the knowledge shared above regarding Chemistry MCQ Online Mock Test MCQ Questions for GATE, CSIR NET, IIT-JAM, SET, SSC, WBSSC, WBSLST, BCS, B.Sc, M.Sc, NEET, JEE, and Class 12 with Answers has been useful to you. If you still have any queries left answered feel free to ask us through the comment section.